Thursday 21 November 2019

Book 3, Letter 13 Part 3 of 3 To Caesar, on the Civil War.





Hail Caesar,

I have this idea, about the notion of consensus reality. It feels like there is very little consensus in my own era. The level of discussion, argument and flat out fighting over definitions, boundaries and ideologies seems to hum at a constant pitch just short of piercing. I find very little to rely upon as absolute truth. Working on the farm is about as good as it gets for me. I drive the shovel into the soil, I pluck the fruit from the tree, I trim the edges of the hedge, I plant the seeds. I cannot dispute the reality of cause and effect in the world of my work. It is very reassuring.

I say all this as a way to introduce the concept of consensus reality. What are the agreed upon facts of the situation? The whole story of you, of Julius Caesar, is wrapped up in a discussion about what we can accept as the truth.

You, Caesar, give us your version of reality, and after two thousand years we still rely upon it. We still discuss it, dispute it, debate and laugh about it. By writing this book, you defined the centre of the consensus. You walked in the middle of your own story, and by writing it down you continue, in immortality, to define the history of these events. We piece it together with others writing, we cross reference and disprove and prove, but through all of that what we are doing is learning the lessons you wanted to teach us.

Caesar, this book is what you wanted us to know about the Civil War. It's what you wanted everyone around you to know, and to believe to be true. This book is of course, a masterful piece of military/political propaganda, but it is also the thoughts and beliefs of one Julius Caesar, telling a story about the reality of your life. You made the consensus we now orbit. Amidst the lack of agreement, division, disagreement and war of your own era, you laid down the centre-path of your own reality. You sold it, worked it, promoted it and lived it to the bloody end.

Your book is a version of the truth that we, your readers, can agree or disagree with. By comparing your version of the story, with Cicero's, I find that if neither perspective can be said to be absolute truth, the middle ground, the space in dispute between your two perspectives, can be said to be the territory where the truth rests. I like to imagine truth to be an invisible space existing between the boundaries of many perspectives. I cannot ever really see it, but I can describe its edges.

Part 2. 5 “From the camp of Gaius Trebonius and from all the high ground it was easy to look into the city and to see how all the men of military age who had remained in the town, all the older men, and the wives and children, were stretching their hands to heaven in the public squares or at the look-out points or on the wall, or were going to the temples of the immortal gods and prostrating themselves in front of the statues of the gods and begging for victory.”

Did you really see this at the siege of Masillia? I can see it in my mind. You have a strange way of describing your enemies, Caesar. You never insult them. You might say hard or harsh things, but you never stoop to insults. You tend to the reverse, making note of your enemies valour, courage and ferocity. It is a good trait, I will admit, it makes me like you more.

My aim is to outdo others in justice and equity, as I have previously striven to outdo them in achievement.”

The cynic would argue that this statement too is only a piece of political showmanship, a way to cover the realpolitik of your goal to achieve dictatorship. War is a savage and prolonged series of public slaughters, and you were the lord of war. War is also a massive complex collision of maths, geography, and psychology. A good commander must be able to understand the motivations of his own soldiers, and that of the enemy. A good commander would know exactly what to write, and exactly to whom he was writing – this is military marketing at its best.

However, the legends of the Civil War, as you tell them, can only fall short of the truth. The discussion then, is really about how far from the truth your story is.



So, I will end my letter here, Caesar, (though the discussion is far from over...). I have just read chapter 3, of part 3: 'Trouble in Italy'. This chapter is only two pages long, but I think that I will need a whole letter to discuss the massive events you describe therein.

With Gratitude and Respect.

Morgan.

No comments:

Post a Comment