Friday 3 May 2019

Book 2, letter 19 Part 3 of 3 To Cicero on Pompey


Book 2, letter 19
Part 3 of 3
To Cicero on Pompey

Cicero, it is sad to say that Pompey was not as good a friend to you, as you were to him. I'm going to refer to a couple of your letters to Atticus, in which you speak of your friendship with Pomey, in the months leading up to your exile. Clodius, a rival, was manoeuvring senators against you, arranging for a law to be passed which would ensure your conviction and execution as punishment for a past action during your Consular year. The atmosphere in Rome was one of looming violence, some historians describe it as 'gangster' style politics. Political gangs were arming themselves on the city streets, senators hired gladiators as body guards. The killings of the past had emboldened a cynical and savvy class of citizen to buck the rules and swagger about with confidence that 'the sword is mightier than the toga', a reverse of that famous phrase of yours Cicero. (The stories of Clodius alone are astounding, I will have to write about him in another letter)

But despite this threatening and electric state of affairs, you were confident in your allies ability to protect you and counter the bill being pushed, you had friends on all sides of politics. Your letter says it better than I can describe. 

From Letter XLVI (a ii20) To Atticus BCE 59. July. Rome.

...Pompey loves me and regards me as a good friend. “Do you believe that?” you will say. I do: he quite convinces me. But seeing that men of the world in all histories, precepts and even verses, are for ever bidding one be on one's guard and forbidding belief, I carry out the former - “to be on my guard” - the latter - “to disbelieve” - I cannot carry out. Clodius is still threatening me with danger. Pompey asserts that there is no danger. He swears it. He even adds that he himself will be murdered by him sooner than I injured.”

But Cicero, in your very next letter, written in the same month, you describe a very different man, and the image of him is terrible. I think I understand his situation...Pompey was in the middle of a loosing struggle against a political rival named Bibulus. The details are complex, and I'm not sure that I understand it well enough to describe it, but that's not important. What is important is the description you give of him, Pompey the Great, Pompeius Magnus, as a heart broken man, crushed by the sway of public opinion against him. 

From letter XLVII (a ii, 21) To Atticus, Rome, July, BCE 59

Accordingly, that friend of ours, unaccustomed to being unpopular, always used to an atmosphere of praise, and revelling in glory, now disfigured in body and broken in spirit, does not know which way to turn; sees that to go on is dangerous, to return a betrayal of vacillation; has the loyalists his enemies, the disloyal themselves not his friends. Yet see how soft-hearted I am. I could not refrain from tears when, on the 25th of July, I saw him making a speech on the edicts of Bibulus. The man who in old times had been used to bear himself in that place with the utmost confidence and dignity, surrounded by the warmest affection of the people, amidst universal favour—how humble, how cast down he was then! How ill-content with himself, to say nothing of how unpleasing to his audience! Oh, what a spectacle! No one could have liked it but Crassus—no one else in the world!”

Then a few months later you wrote to your brother, as the struggle against Clodius continues.

From letter LII (q fr i, 2) To his brother Quintus (In Asia) Rome, 26 October, BCE59

All promise me the aid of themselves, their friends, clients, freedmen, slaves, and, finally, of their money. Our old regiment of loyalists is warm in its zeal and attachment to me. If there were any who had formerly been comparatively hostile or lukewarm, they are now uniting themselves with the loyalists from hatred to these despots. Pompey makes every sort of promise, and so does Cæsar: but my confidence in them is not enough to induce me to drop any of my preparations.”

“Pray to God, but row for shore” we might say today. Does that phrase tickle you? It seems you had the foresight to arrange for the worst, and the worst was on its way. Only six months later, you were writing to Atticus from the road as you fled Rome in self directed exile, begging your friend to join you in Vibo, but it was to be a long time before you and Atticus were re-united.

Letter LV (a iii, 3)
To Atticus (At Rome)
Vibo, April
BCE 58

I hope I may see the day when I shall thank you for having compelled me to remain alive! At present I thoroughly repent it. But I beg you to come and see me at Vibo at once, to which town I have for several reasons directed my journey. But if you will only come there, I shall be able to consult you about my entire journey and exile. If you don't do so, I shall be surprised, but I feel sure you will.

                        (Vibo....a couple thousand years later)

It seems that all your hopes and expectations of friendship and alliance with Pompey were ill placed, and that in the end, his political needs and his own weakness of spirit combined to produce the betrayal which...well, Plutarch finishes off this part of the story very well in his biography of Pompey. Nearly two hundred years later when Plutarch was writing this, it seem that people did not forget, and Pompey is punished by history for his abandoning of you in favour of himself.


Pompey, defeated and harried as he was, found it necessary to look for support to popular tribunes and young adventurers. Of these much the most unscrupulous character was Clodius. One may say that Clodius took Pompey up and threw him down at the people's feet, causing him to roll about ignominiously in the dirt of the forum. He carried Pompey around with him, using him as a means to give weight and authority to his own speeches and proposals, all of which were made simply to gratify and flatter the mob. He even went so far as to ask to be paid for his services, as though he were doing Pompey good instead of bringing him into disgrace; and later he got his reward, when Pompey betrayed Cicero, who was his friend and indeed had done more for him in politics than had anyone else. Now when Cicero was in danger and implored Pompey to help him, Pompey would not even meet him face to face; he kept his front door barred against those who came with messages from Cicero and slipped out himself by a back entrance. After this, Cicero, fearing the result of his trial, secretly fled from Rome.”

Pompey collapsed. What terrible desires he must have struggled with that could make him side with such a popular despot as Clodius. It seems that all his former glories and triumphs were for naught and when the chips were down, Pompey turned out to be rather spineless. His story is more complicated of course, there were many political defeats he suffered before this alliance with Clodius. Many times he had reached for civilian achievements, only to be put back in his box by severe opposition from the Senate. This collapse of Pompey's moral certainty and loyalty to you was a low point on a long slope downwards, but it was such an extreme betrayal that even two thousand years later, the pain of it stings me.

*

It has taken me a few weeks to write this letter, and today as I finish, the world outside my bedroom window is blurry with heavy rain. It's amazing the change of feeling that rain brings about in my whole body and mind. I think that rain lets me believe in the future, it allows me to hope that tomorrow might be better than yesterday. Certainly the hills will be greener, the dams will fill up at least part way and the cattle will have something to drink for another month or so.

I have been a bit despondent over some recent personal failures, but in writing to you of Pompey, I have come to see my own life in reflection. I am somewhat disgusted by Pompey's betrayal of you, and of his lack of willpower in not facing up to his own failures with more courage.

So, I will face my troubles with more courage, knowing that they are tiny by comparison. I will go on knowing that you, Cicero, fought harder than I can possibly understand, for causes greater than my own, and that even in the despair of exile, you had your good friend Atticus to write to. To express all that was in your heart, to share with him your private fears and woes, knowing that he would always support you, even as you watched Pompey betray you.

It is good that I can write to you Cicero, very good indeed.

Always, with admiration and respect.

Morgan.

No comments:

Post a Comment