Friday 31 May 2019

Interim Letter - between Book 2 and 3


Interim letter.
(A bridge between Book 2 and Book 3)

*

Dear Cicero,

The Autumn rains are here again, and I have seen the first towers of bonfire smoke rising from the valley lowland farms near my home. I have been writing letters to you and our other dead friends for a year now.

So much has changed. Nothing has changed.

This morning, a chilly Sunday, I sit in bed to write and to read. I have Tacitus beside me, telling stories of despots and suicides and all manner of terrible debaucheries from the reigns of the early Roman emperors. I have your letters, Cicero, telling me the tale of your year in Cilicia. I have a book of poetry by Yevgenny Yevtushenko telling me stories of Russian revolutions, of failed uprisings, of oppression and of love.

And my story...what of my story?

So much has changed. Nothing has changed.

Every day I read, I write, I play music, I draw pictures late into the night, never sleeping before midnight. I rise in the morning to take my son to school, I go to work, I pick my son up from school and come home, I play games with my children, I make dinner, and in the evenings I sit and draw pictures late into the night.

What picture am I drawing now, Cicero? A line between two points? A line between two minds separated by two thousand years? Is it a circle?

The bonfires are being lit, burning away the old dead wood of summer, to make way for the new growth in the spring to come. The hours of daylight grow shorter, the sunlight is colder, the frost and fog and rain cloak the land in their green bounty, while I sit wrapped in my black woolen robe on a chilly Sunday morning, writing a letter to a long dead friend.

Thank you Cicero, thank you always and forever. Without you, I might have gone mad long ago.

With Gratitude and Respect.

Morgan.

*

A message to my readers...

Letters to Cicero: end of Book 2

First, I want to thank you, my readers. I, like most artists, feel the need to have an audience, and your attentions to this blog have made it possible for me to continue in this work with the happiness and enthusiasm that make it a pleasure to write, as well as to read. I am trying to understand the past, and in doing so, to gain perspective on the present, as well as a better sense of what might be possible for the future. I hope that my search is of benefit to others, as well as myself.

The future...

Book three is already part written. I have been writing to Ovid, Plato, Tacitus, Marcus Aurelius, and of course, Cicero. I feel as though I am wading into deeper and deeper water, and this makes my progress slower, more considered. Expanding my list of authors to include in this blog gives me the perspective that I seek, and grants me the nuanced understanding that I have always wanted. More than just info-bites, more than just anecdotes, I want to understand history, not so I may draw conclusions, but so that I might understand more about human nature. For now, my study is focussed on ancient Roman & Greek writing. The future, is unwritten...

I have also been working on a few other things.

My new solo album is now complete, (Zebulon: Music of an Invisible Enclave) and is ready for release in a few weeks time. You can watch and listen to my previous music work here:





My band, Iron Dwarf, also put on a show in this year's Adelaide Fringe Festival, re-telling the Epic of Gilgamesh, as a hard-boiled detective story, presented with funk music, puppets, and a belly dancer. I have been editing the video from the show, which will be available on youtube soon. Here is a video of the band performing one of the songs on the street.




My novel, The Hangman Tree, is about to start 4th draft editing. It tells the legendary tale of Djinnee One-Hand, Shaman of the Red Sands. It will be a couple more years before it is ready for release, but it is a project I am still very passionate about bringing into the world.

In the last few months I have also produced a small book of poetry called “Love in the Age of Gasoline” and a short espionage sci-fi story called “Necessary Beast”. Finally, I am in the process of a what might become a new novel, “Monkey and Tortoise”, which is a sort of Platonic dialogue between a small community of animals who are trying to solve the mystery of their own natures.

I am considering making these other written works available for purchase in e-book format.

But for the moment, I will give you a taste of Monkey and Tortoise, and leave you with a promise that my Letters to Cicero will continue for the foreseeable future, expanding slowly to include the poets and playwrights of the ancient world.

The future, however, is unwritten.

*

Monkey and Tortoise (Chapter 1)

Hey Tortoise, Monkey said one day,

Hey Tortoise, are you listening to me? Monkey raised his voice. It always seemed as if Tortoise wasn't listening to him.

Hey! Tort...

Yeah, Monkey. What is it? Tortoise cut him off. It was true that sometimes he didn't listen to Monkey, but it was also true that sometimes Monkey didn't say anything worth listening to.

Do you think that all art is portraiture?

Uh...Tortoise had an opinion on this, but he was not good at quick responses.

I mean, Monkey continued, uninterrupted by Tortoise's lack of reply, I mean, is all art, Self portraiture?

What is art? Tortoise loved the Socratic method.

Well... Monkey thought for a moment, but then recognised the smile on Tortoise's face. Don't try to side-track me. You already know what I mean, you're just avoiding the question. (Monkey paused, for effect.) You're avoiding the question because you're lazy.

Tortoise was silent for a long time. He hoped that Monkey would just go away. All around them the grass continued to grow, and the sky turned a darker shade of blue. Finally Tortoise gave his answer.

If all art is self portraiture, then there is no longer any difference between subject and object, and the meaningful relationship between artist and art is one of solitary significance, relating only to the nature of the artist. As the art either disturbs or comforts the artist, so its purpose is served in the continued development of the human relationship with the concept of self.

If all art is self portraiture, then everything which mankind, (or monkey, or tortoise-kind) has created, in every field of endeavour, is also self portraiture. From the automobile to the sex toy to the missile to the basketball, from shoes to shawls and crowns and bells on ankles. Everything is just an effort to express and explain and describe and translate, the mystery of the individual.

Monkey thought about this for a while.

Yeah, OK. But what do you really think?

What do you mean by 'think'? Tortoise did this out of habit, not really meaning to divert attention away from the question Monkey was trying to ask.

Monkey just stared, waiting.

Tortoise used a stick to draw a picture of himself in the sand. If all art is self portraiture, then what is self portraiture?

Monkey smiled a great big smile. Yeah, that's what I thought too.


No comments:

Post a Comment