Thursday 5 September 2019

Book 3, letter 8 (Part 3 of 3) To Cicero, on his brother Quintus





Moving on from the war, there is something I discovered in your letters of the year 54bce. It seems that the political situation in Rome was worsening, the threat of a dictatorship loomed large in everyone's fearful minds and a particularly corrupt legal case was bothering you. You were still in the city when you wrote to your friend Atticus about the situation, and your feelings regarding it.


CLIII (a iv 18)
TO ATTICUS (In Asia)
October, 54BCE

...We have lost, my dear Pomponius, not only all the healthy sap and blood of our old constitution, but even its colour and outward show. There is no Republic to give a moment's pleasure or a feeling of security. "And is that, then," you will say, "a satisfaction to you?" Precisely that. For I recall what a fair course the state had for a short time, while I was at the helm, and what a return has been made me! It does not give me a pang that one man absorbs all power. The men to burst with envy are those who were indignant at my having had some power. There are many things which console me, without my departing an inch from my regular position; and I am returning to the life best suited to my natural disposition—to letters and the studies that I love. My labour in pleading I console by my delight in oratory. I find delight in my town house and my country residences. I do not recall the height from which I have fallen, but the humble position from which I have risen. As long as I have my brother and you with me, let those fellows be hanged, drawn, and quartered for all I care: I can play the philosopher with you. That part of my soul, in which in old times irritability had its home, has grown completely callous. I find no pleasure in anything that is not private and domestic. You will find me in a state of magnificent repose, to which nothing contributes more than the prospect of your return. For there is no one in the wide world whose feelings are so much in sympathy with my own.”

Everyone who writes of you, even your brilliant biographer Anthony Trollope, speaks continuously of your deep and mutual friendship with Atticus. Everywhere the phrase 'my second self' is used to describe your feelings towards him, but in your very next letter, this time addressed to your brother Quintus, I discovered something that seems to counter this idea. Everyone thinks that Atticus was your closest, most trusted friend, but I think that there were things that you could not share, even with him.

CLIV (q fr iii, 5-6)
TO HIS BROTHER QUINTUS (IN GAUL)
Tusculum (October)
bc 54, aet 52

...I withdraw myself, it is true, from all political anxiety and devote myself to literature; still, I will hint to you what, by heaven, I specially wished to have concealed from you. It cuts me to the heart, my dearest brother, to the heart, to think that there is no Republic, no law courts, and that my present time of life, which ought to have been in the full bloom of senatorial dignity, is distracted with the labours of the forum or eked out by private studies, and that the object on which from boyhood I had set my heart, "Far to excel, and tower above the crowd," is entirely gone: that my opponents have in some cases been left unattacked by me, in others even defended: that not only my sympathies, but my very dislikes, are not free: and that Cæsar is the one man in the world who has been found to love me to my heart's content, or even, as others think, the only one who was inclined to do so. However, there is none of all these vexations of such a kind as to be beyond the reach of many daily consolations; but the greatest of consolations will be our being together. As it is, to those other sources of vexation there is added my very deep regret for your absence.”

So you wrote to your best friend Atticus telling him that all Rome was going to hell in a hand basket, but that you didn't care. You were happy to spend time at home busying yourself with domestic pleasures and playing the philosopher. Yet in the same month, you wrote to your brother Quintus, who was still stationed thousands of miles away in Gaul, telling him that your are sorely hurt by the turning of events in Rome and that your heart is heavy with a sense of unfulfilled ambition, and the weight of censorship and oppression existing in Rome.

There are things, Cicero, which we cannot share with our closest friends. Your brother though, was someone whom you could confess your secret pains to, when you could not admit your true feelings to Atticus. Quintus was your blood. You grew up together, you raised your sons in each other's company, you cared for each other's sons when the other was away. There was a bond between you that seems far more magnificent than the polite, intellectual society that you shared with Atticus. I don't claim to know everything about you and your relationships...all I have are these letters, but when I read the above letter you wrote to Quintus, I caught a glimpse of something.

Just a glimmer at the bottom of the well.

Love, Cicero. Two thousand years after you and your brother were both murdered, your love still shines bright enough for me to see.

So that's all I wanted to write today. The morning sky is clouded and the air is cool. Tiny birds flock and chirrup in the Eucalyptus trees outside my bedroom window, as I write letters to you, my dear friend, Cicero.

With gratitude and respect.

Morgan.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Script: To my readers.

Dear readers from many nations.  I have recently released my first, full length, solo album.  Zebulon: Music of an Invisible Enclave.

You can listen, download, and purchase my music here:



Also, if you enjoy this blog, please spread the word among your friends.  

Thank you.  

With Gratitude and Respect.

Morgan.


No comments:

Post a Comment