Thursday 19 September 2019

Book 3, letter 10, To Cicero, on the defence of poetry.


Dear Cicero,



I've just read your speech, ProArchias

How can I praise a work of such exquisite eloquence, without doing it the grave injustice of describing it in language less praiseworthy than your own? If I am unequal to the task of description, what could I possibly write to you about this magnificent speech, that would not fall short of mere mimicry?

Yet, mimicry, it is said, is the sincerest form of flattery.

To study the lives of the great heroic men and women of history, and being inspired by their legendary virtues and actions, is, by your standard, a righteous way to live. These great people of our collective ancestry continue to weave their influence into every succeeding era, through the subtle charms of poetry, and through the sledge-hammer gravity and sweeping tidal force of historiography.

You Cicero, live on through your works. The world is made from the particles of, not only your flesh and bones, turned to clay in the earth, but of the substance and imagination of your written work. Through the ever fruitful minds of translators every bit as poetic as yourself, people of many nations, and in many centuries have become inspired to speak as you speak, to write as you write, to think and feel and to believe as you believe.

Who then can reproach me, or who has any right to be angry with me, if I allow myself as much time for the cultivation of these studies as some take for the performance of their own business, or for celebrating days of festival and games, or for other pleasures, or even for the rest and refreshment of mind and body, or as others devote to early banquets, to playing at dice, or at ball?”

Who indeed, could reproach you Cicero, for your adherence to such study. “Because he supplies us with food whereby our mind is refreshed after this noise in the forum, and with rest for our ears after they have been wearied with bad language.”

Archias, whom you spoke the preceding lines in support of, must have been quite a man for you to praise him so highly, and to defend his right to Roman citizenship in the courts.

Let then, judges, this name of poet, this name which no barbarians even have ever disregarded, be holy in your eyes, men of cultivated minds as you all are. Rocks and deserts reply to the poet's voice; savage beasts are often moved and arrested by song; and shall we, who have been trained in the pursuit of the most virtuous acts, retire to be swayed by the voice of poets?”

Oh let me be swayed, let me be lifted up by such sentiment. Yet, Cicero, in the study of your great style, in the careful reading of many great poets and authors, in my attempts to better my own skill in these arts, I must tread with humility and caution, lest my own natural confidence be turned through arrogance and into hubris.

Why, look you now how unworthy a thing
you make of me! You would play upon me; you
would seem to know my stops; you would pluck
out the heart of my mystery; you would sound me
from my lowest note to the top of my compass;
and there is much music, excellent voice, in this little
organ, yet cannot you make it speak. 'Sblood, do
you think I am easier to be played on than a pipe?
Call me what instrument you will, though you can
fret me, you cannot play upon me

Shakespeare: Hamlet. Act 3, scene 2, line 370 - 380


Humility then, is the act of maintaining a space, nay, a broad field, a verdant meadow, a sweeping vista within my mind, reserved as vacant space wherein MYSTERY may dwell. As Socrates is so oft quoted, to admit that the only wisdom is in knowing that I know nothing, is to admit that as my skill in writing and oratory develops, so too does the horizon of my ignorance. The more I learn, the more I am able to see the borders of my development, and to see beyond them into the unknown space of knowledge as yet unlearned, into the field of potential, lit by the pink glow of an ever rising dawn. Arcane flowers and trees and herbs grow there in that space in my mind, where I may walk at my leisure, leafing through the pages of history and listening to the echoing voices of the long dead.

Long may you be in the grave, but the night has yet to take from us all the light of your past glory, and it is by that glow, Cicero, that I am able to see.


With Love, Sincerity, Gratitude and Respect, I bow my head to you, Cicero.


Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment