Thursday 7 March 2019

Book 2, letter 17 - To Tacitus: on the treatment of fallen foes


Book 2, Letter 17
part 2 of 3
To Tacitus: on the treatment of fallen foes

*

Tacitus, we go now from the bones of one story to the soul of another.

In my broader reading, I keep finding references to the manner in which the dead of war are treated in different ways. From the earliest Greek references of Theseus returning the bodies of fallen enemies to their kin, to the modern day accounts of atrocities committed during the Vietnam war, the way people feel about dead soldiers makes for an interesting analysis of our sense of humanity and honour.

I hadn't originally planned to write about this, I was hoping to get to the weird black magic curse that killed Germanicus, but in reading further about modern practices regarding the bodies of fallen enemies, I discovered something truly fascinating.

Operation Wandering Souls, is an Australian Army initiative where mementos and artifacts taken by Australian soldiers during the Vietnam War (1965 – 1975CE), are being returned to Vietnam in an effort to locate some of the 300,000 Vietnamese missing war dead. A further part of this project, is a map of overwhelming detail of every single combat encounter involving Australian soldiers during the war. The Australian Army documented every enemy body found, and recorded details of the burials which were done at the combat sites. The map links photos of the location, photos of the soldiers involved, and images of any mementos or artifacts taken from, and now returned to the site.



I have a fascination with certain aspects of war. War seems to encapsulate all the worst things about the human species, but what interests me is the way that in the middle of all that horror, some people are capable of both nobility of purpose and compassion for their enemies.

Some of these stories cast long shadows across time, and whether we know about it or not, we stand in those shadows every day.

The lost souls of war are buried in shallow graves, and Vietnam has ghost stories enough to send chills down my spine. You see, the Australian Operation: Wandering Souls, is not the first of that name. During the Vietnam war, the American and Australian armies also had an operation under the same name, but their goal was not to return lost artifacts, or to help locate the missing bodies of fallen foes. Quite the opposite.

There is a popular belief in Vietnam, with its roots in Buddhism, that if a person dies while away from their home, and if their body is not buried with the proper ceremony, the soul will wander lost forever, tortured by demons, suffering the eternal hunger of the dead. The American PSYOPS division (with the involvement of other allied forces) intentionally played upon this cultural/religious belief. Through the use of loudspeakers attached to helicopters, boats, aeroplanes, or carried on the backs of soldiers, they played at incredible volumes, special recordings made to simulate the sounds of screaming hungry ghosts, with recordings of crying children begging their fathers to come home, accompanied by the religious funeral dirges familiar to all Vietnamese people. These recordings were only ever played at night, and some of the aeroplanes used in this operation were able to fly in such a way (at a certain altitude and engine RPM) as to make their engines inaudible from the ground below, while the howling sounds of wandering ghosts could be heard by the soldiers huddling even in their underground tunnels and bunkers.

In the article written by SGM Herbert A. Friedman (Ret.), entitled The “Wandering Soul” tape of Vietnam, I found many worthy stories, poems, anecdotes, photographs and newspaper articles which I would love to share a select few with you.

I will begin with the Vietnamese poet, Nguyen Du, from his poem “A call to wandering souls”

Year after year exposed to wind and rain,
on the cold ground they lie, sighing.
At dawn, when the cock crows, they flee,
only to grope their way again when night comes”

Strangers have buried you in careless haste,
no loved ones near,
no proper rites...
...and under the wan moon,
no kindly smoke of incense wreathes for you.”

Dan Carlin (a history podcaster) said that history doesn't repeat, but sometimes it rhymes, (and I'm sure he was quoting someone else...), but the following story of the Jungle of Screaming Souls seems a haunted parallel to the Teutoburg forest.

Bao Ninh, a former North Vietnamese soldier and author of 'The Sorrow of War' (1991), tells of an area called the jungle of screaming souls where the North Vietnamese 27th Battalion was wiped out except for ten survivors by American and South Vietnamese troops. He says:

From then on it was called the jungle of screaming souls. Just hearing the name whispered was enough to send chills down the spine. Perhaps the screaming souls gathered together on special festival days as members of the Lost Battalion, lining up in the little diamond-shaped clearing, checking their ranks and numbers. The sobbing whispers were heard deep in the jungle at night, the howls carried on the wind. Perhaps they really were the voices of the wandering souls of dead soldiers.

But Tacitus, I would not do this tale justice if I only shared with you the written legends and poetry of war. I'm not shy of the dirty truth, so here is a recording of one of the Wandering Souls tapes. SGM Herbert Friedman summarises one of the tape scripts in this way:



In general, the messages were as follows:

Girl's voice:
Daddy, daddy, come home with me, come home. Daddy! Daddy!

Man's voice:
Ha! (his daughter's name). Who is that? Who is calling me? Oh, my daughter? My wife? Daddy is back home with you, my daughter! I am back home with you, my wife. But my body is gone. I am dead, my family.
I…..Tragic, how tragic.

My friends, I come back to let you know that I am dead! I am dead! It's Hell, Hell! It is a senseless death! How senseless! Senseless! But when I realized the truth, it was too late. Too late. Friends, while you are still alive, there is still a chance you will be reunited with your love ones. Do you hear what I say? Go home! Go home, my friends! Hurry! Hurry! If not, you will end up like me. Go home my friends before it is too late. Go home! Go home my friends!”

U.S PSYOP soldier stands watch as an ARVN soldier broadcasts a surrender appeal. -


I think that people do things for a reason, or rather, nothing is done at random. The experiences of humans at war are not irrelevant to civilians, rather, sometimes I feel that military customs shed light on civilian customs as well. Though we don't talk about these things, we all have beliefs about the dead, some instinctive, others deeply ingrained social ideals. The way we treat our enemies, and how we think of them alive or dead, is, I think, hugely representative of our social beliefs at large. It raises questions of self respect, compassion, nobility and justice. It is a massively convoluted subject that cannot be summed up in any sort of glib and shallow manner, but sometimes an army motto is just the thing to set the wheels of the mind turning.
The American 5th Special Operations Squadron, a group who used the Wandering Soul tapes had the official motto “The truth shall make them free,” but their unofficial motto was “Better to bend the mind than destroy the body.”


                Helicopter Tape Deck Playing a Propaganda message

There's more to come, Tacitus, but that will have to wait....

No comments:

Post a Comment