Thursday 2 January 2020

Book 3, Letter 17, part 1 of 2 To Seneca, on wisdom and desire




Dear Seneca,

I've been going back over the first hundred or so pages of your Epistles, looking for a quote that I've had stuck in my head for week....yet, I can't find it...I wonder now if I didn't read it somewhere else. No matter, I'll share it with you and maybe later I can confirm the author...yet, you have said that the words of great poets and philosophers belong to us all....

When you loose something, do not say, it has been taken from me, rather, say that you have given it back. Has your sight been taken from you? Nay, I have given it back to the source. Has your child died? Nay, I have given her back. For all that we have is a gift, and all of it must one day be given back.

So, I'm quoting from memory, but that's the gist of it.

Seneca, you're having such an impact on me. I carry your book with me everywhere, I sit in cafe's reading, I sit in taverns making notes, I sit in bed holding up my heavy eyes to read just a little more.

My hunger for wisdom grows with every meal.

And so it was that I came upon this....you are quoting as you so often do, from Epicurus. (I love that you quote from Epicurus so much. It is a reminder that if an idea is good, it is good, regardless of it's philosophical source.)

If you wish to make Pythoclese rich, do not add to his store of money, but subtract from his desires.

I ask myself, am I being greedy for wisdom? Am I over-reaching? Every day I read the ancient authors, searching for the secrets that will bring me happiness, or help me solve the problems of my daily life. I read history, poetry, drama, tragedy and comedy and as much as I am fed by them and feel their continuous influence upon my life....I can say guiltily, that it is never enough.

I am greedy for wisdom. I want the answers to my problems, I want the solutions, I want to be a better writer, a better thinker, a better husband, father, friend, musician, artist...I am greedy for dignitas. There is no limit to the extent of my desires it seems.

I think, Seneca, that you understand.

Epistle VIII : On the philosopher's seclusion

I never spend a day in idleness; I appropriate even a part of the night for study. I do not allow time for sleep, but yield to it when I must, and when my eyes are wearied with waking and ready to fall shut, I keep them at their task. I have withdrawn not only from men, but from affairs, especially from my own affairs; I am working for later generations, writing down some ideas that may be of assistance to them. There are certain wholesome counsels, which may be compared to prescriptions of useful drugs; these I am putting into writing; for I have found them helpful in ministering to my own sores, which if not wholly cured, have at any rate ceased to spread.

In reading this epistle to your friend Lucilius, I find that I might quote all of it as you warn against being lured into danger by the gifts of fortune, and as you praise the middle path of simple living and simple desires.

Eat merely to relieve your hunger, drink merely to quench your thirst; dress merely to keep out the cold; house yourself merely as a protection against personal discomfort.

Despise everything that useless toil creates as an ornament and an object of beauty. And reflect that nothing except the soul is worthy of wonder; for to the soul, if it be great, naught is great.

...actually Seneca, I disagree with that last bit. I think that if the soul be great, then all is great. The greatness of a soul is in the measure with which it may contain all the world in acceptance, compassion, wisdom and wonder. I don't side with the Stoic precept, Nil Admirandum. I say instead, find wonder in everything.

But it is in the space between these contradictions that life exists. Between desire and contentment, between striving and humility. They aren't polarities to be reached, but weights to keep in balance. There are no definitions or borders separating each part, like the left hand and right hand are both part of the same body.

The day is still young, and this morning the birds cluster in their floating orchestras along the creek, singing their morning hymns in the canopy of green and shimmering leaves. Rain is on its way. Yesterday the hot wind blew red dust from the north, apocalyptic and wearying, but today there is a still before the storm. The air is warm and wet, the flowers open themselves to the sunlight and the grass grows greenest in the valleys. (I wrote this letter during Spring, now in Summer the whole country is on fire, it is quite stressful, waiting for the evacuation warning.)

If you would enjoy real freedom, you must be the slave of philosophy.

Then, Seneca, call me slave, call me a lover, call me a devotee, a mad priest, a wandering mendicant with my begging bowl held out, walking the middle path, my crooked middle path.

Or, as the Buddha says. Everything in moderation, including moderation.


No comments:

Post a Comment