Thursday 15 November 2018


Dear Readers,


At times surreal, at times melancholic, often enchanting, crazily dynamic, you don’t know where you will be going next as you let yourself be led through the enclaves. The voice of Zebulon and others visit to weave captivating tales, conjurations of dancing women, of joyous gypsies, of the low, the cold, the uncertain, amongst musical wanderings through territories sublimely satisfying.”

Nicki Bullock
-from her review of the album

I would like to tell you about my solo album : Music of an Invisible Enclave.


After nearly three years recording and mixing this eighteen track album, I just need a little help to get the project over the finish line. If you are interested, a $10 pledge to the kickstarter campaign will buy you the album in pre-sale, which will be released in February 2019, available in digital download format at zebulonstoryteller.bandcamp.com Your pledge will help me cover the cost of having the album professionally mastered.

I have previous albums already available through Bandcamp and my Youtube channel has a mixture of music, dance and poetry videos.

Also, the blog Music of an Invisible Enclave is the story of the nine months it took to do the initial recordings, documenting my my life as a musician playing in several bands, working with dancers and poets and teaching middle eastern drumming, all in a little city by the sea.

The blog, Indivisible From Magic is sort of a weird sequel, but it's mostly about magic. Writing this blog helped me finish writing my new novel, The Hangman Tree, which is still a few years from release. (The third draft is done, it's in editing as I write this). I'll tell you more about the novel later.

So if my music interests you, I would be grateful for your support. If you could share the kickstarter promotional video amongst your friends and family, that would help a great deal too.


Thank you,

Morgan (Zebulon) Taubert



...Now, on with my letter to Thucydides...

*

Book Two, Letter Nine
To Thucydides, on men, women, and the tyranny of democracy
Part 1 of 6



Dear Thucydides,

I've been reading your book, The Peloponnesian War every night for months, (the 1954, Rex Warner translation). I thought at first that it was a ten year story, but that is only the beginning. You describe twenty one years of war, including the six tumultuous years of so called 'peace' in the middle. It is an epic tome of the conflicts of many nations, struggling for dominance, or independence, in the long aftermath of the failed (and still famous) Persian invasion of Greece by King Xerxes. This will likely be a long letter, you certainly deserve a carefully considered response, but I'm not going to just flatter you with praise for your book which, in your own words, “...is not a piece of writing designed to meet the taste of an immediate public, but was done to last forever.” I've got some hard things to say as well.

I'm going to start with a couple ideas that I don't think you'll like, but here goes.

Democracy can be just as tyrannical as any other form of government.

and

Men are not the stronger sex.


To begin:

Dying in battle seems easy. It doesn't take much to be courageous for a moment, to fight for, and die for your country, or your beliefs.

Being a woman in time of war is hard. Staying alive is hard. Keeping the children fed is hard, ignoring one's own needs in favour of the next generation....that takes true strength. Submitting to the violence of one's enemies, and living on for the sake of one's children, in forced hostage marriages or slavery, is hard. Ancient warfare was every bit as horrid as its modern equivalent, and in typical fashion, the civilian populations suffer just as much than the soldiers.

Yet in twenty one years, in 541 pages, you mention women only three times, Thucydides. To be fair, you hardly mention civilians at all, yours is a political and military story that only lightly touches on the experience of those not serving in armies, but still, women are everywhere you go in the world, but they're not in your book.

This got me thinking about the notion that the absence of evidence, is not the evidence of absence. So, in the almost complete absence of any reference to women in your book, I can see a great sea of information hidden behind the question: where are the women?

If you read between the lines, it's all there. The women are at home suffering through the famine and plague and pillaging armies who “lay waste to the land”, as you so often repeat.

What does that mean? Lay waste?

I can imagine it, and if you are a woman, I'm sure you don't want to imagine it, but that is what this letter is going to be about, among other things.

Men are not the stronger sex.

I say this because men go on and on and on about how strong and brave and courageous they are and I just keep thinking...the gentleman doth protest too much. Books and scrolls and treatises and volume after volume of writing about the courageous acts of heroic men in battle, but the more I read the more I sense a smoke-screen, a beautiful, romanticised smoke screen for a code of behaviour that is in actual fact, the opposite of its professed virtue. Now I know there's the issue of high levels of illiteracy among women throughout history, resulting in very few of their stories being told, but many other authors go to great lengths to include women in their histories. Herodotus, who wrote before you, goes out of his way to find stories of women, and Xenophon, who wrote after you, does the same, as does Plutarch, and he loves your book.

But you don't write about women and I ask myself why? I don't have a straight answer, but my thoughts do seem to take me down a certain path.

I suggest that:

Men are weak who submit to the violence of their natures.

A true gentleman man is known by his restraint.

Yet ...

Men are frequently obligated, in the name of courage, valour, freedom and dignity, to submit themselves upon the altar of Phobos, and join forces with other men to fight in wars all over the globe. Men are frequently required by law to commit violence upon their fellow man, when called upon by their sovereign or government to do so. Some wars are fought for reasons that to me, seem good, or if not good, then at least just. Other wars seem nothing more than the piteous outcomes of political greed, or corporate meat grinding battles for resources. The restraint and gentleness that defines a man in civilian life, becomes a burden and obstacle in times of war. (Although Marcus Aurelius seems to offer an alternative....I'll write to him soon)

Your story Thucydides, is not about gentlemen. It isn't even about heroes and villains. I'm actually very impressed by your seemingly fair and balanced telling of the conflict between democratic Athens, and Sparta (which was a sort of fundamentalist, religious, oligarchical monarchy, I suppose). Though you are Athenian, I don't feel like you pull any punches when you describe their callous , criminal behaviour towards their subject states, and despite having been exiled part way through the war, and living among the Spartans afterwards, I do not feel that you favour them overmuch either, showing their insecurity and corruption in equal measure with their nobility, cleverness and honourable conduct.

But where, Thucydides, are the women?





No comments:

Post a Comment