Thursday 17 February 2022

Book 5, Letter 18 - Herodotus

 


Dear Cicero,


I met Herodotus around the same time I met you, in a little bookstore in the central markets, and over the past four or so years, his book has remained on my bedside table (first one translation, then another, then a third). From his stories of the Scythians, to the origins of money, dice games and even the roots of the east/west divide, Herodotus has inspired my imagination and sent me on many more literary adventures than I could easily recount.


Tonight I just wanted to read to you from his account of the wild beasts of Libya and beyond, in my mind it's a real, 'lions and tigers and bears, oh my!', kind of moment. Because the study of history is not always serious.


With Gratitude and Respect,


Morgan.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment