Thursday 11 November 2021

Book 5 Letter 11 - The 3rd Philippic

 



Dear Cicero,


I was reading your first Philippic (brilliant, by the way...), and I found you make reference to a Roman playwright, Accius, and his play Atreus. The quote runs thus:


Let them hate, so that they fear


or, to put it another way


Let them hate me, so long as they fear me.



So, I began searching. I found that Suetonius makes reference to this play, claiming that Emperor Caligula loved the play, and that he often quoted this line self referentially. Digging deeper, I discovered that only fragments of the play survive, fragments which thankfully are published by LOEB Classics.


So, looking to purchase the book, (https://www.hup.harvard.edu/catalog.php?isbn=9780674993471) my eye was drawn to a side-bar on the website, of recent blog articles published by LOEB scholars, relating to Pride Month. Following a link, I read about the Stonewall riot in New York in 1969, and the subsequent decades long dialogue about gay identity.


So, thank you Cicero, as always. In following you, I walk a path to further study, and sometimes unexpected delights find me on the way.


Tonight, I will read to you from your third Philippic against Marc Antony.


With gratitude and respect


Morgan.

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment