Thursday 8 July 2021

Book 5, Letter 2 - Tacitus: Agricola

 


Dear Cicero,


I have selected this speech (taken from Tacitus' book, Agricola), which is a political cry for rebellion against an oppressive Rome, with no intention to pass comment on current politics.


I do not wish to use the ancient world to leverage authority over the modern.


I am a student,


"A man cannot learn what he thinks he already knows."

Epictetus.


I am here to learn, and to share my love of learning.


The world around me is in a seeming state of unsolvable conflict, each side of the polygon claiming that the others are lying, each political faction expending vast energy on discrediting their opponents, while I, wrapped up warmly in my robe, sit in bed on a cold Saturday morning, reading your books, Cicero, and taking comfort in your wisdom.


Day by day, my knowledge grows smaller, as the vast mountains of literature pile up on my bedside table. The more I learn, the less certain I am about anything.


Thank you Cicero,


with Gratitude and Respect.

Morgan.




1 comment: