Friday 10 April 2020

Book 4, Letter 2, Part 2 of 4 To T E Lawrence, on the Seven Pillars of Wisdom




From Chapter XXXIV

The stone itself was glistening, yellow, sunburned stuff; metallic is ring and brittle; splitting red or green or brown as the case might be. From ever soft place sprouted thorn bushes; and there was frequent grass, usually growing from one root in a dozen stout blades, knee high and straw coloured: the heads were empty ears between many-feathered arrows of silver down. With these, and with a shorter grass, whose bottle-brush heads of pearly grey reached only to the ankle, the hill sides were furred white and bowed themselves lowly towards us with each puff of the casual wind.

I could describe my own home in very similar terms. I live in a rocky, hilly region, not so distant from the flat lowlands, that  grapevines cannot be seen. I often find myself caught breathless by the sudden beauty of windswept grasslands, or the graceful passing shadows of clouds rushing over the land pushed by the invisible hands of giants in the sky. I often reflect on the phrase attributed to Jesus Christ 'Split a log and you will find me, lift a stone and I am there'. It seems obvious to me that divinity is here on earth in the ordinary moments of nature. It is a divinity too big for religion.

Life, is too big for religion.

So, on and on I read, each morning a chapter, each evening two chapters, and I find myself smiling at the remarkable, but ordinary truths of the world that you reveal with the written word and bring to life in my imagination. Like the story (Chapter XL)of the two young men, Daud the hasty and his love fellow, Farraj; a beautiful, soft framed girlish creature with innocent, smooth face and swimming eyes.

They were an instance of the eastern boy and boy affection which the segregation of women made inevitable. Such friendships often led to manly loves of a depth and force beyond our flesh-steeped conceit. When innocent they were hot and unashamed. If sexuality entered, they passed into a give and take, unspiritual relation, like marriage.

It is wonderful to read you open minded views of homosexual relations, and strange that this was 1916-17, when now, in 2020 in the same region of the world, men are being imprisoned or exiled for the crime of loving their fellow man. I have mentioned that I am a musician; well, I was drumming for a dancer at the opening of a new restaurant in the central markets of my home city. The restaurant owner had fled his home in Iran to escape persecution for his sexual orientation.



I live in such an age, that stories of homosexuality in the middle east are almost always about persecution. Even in my own country, the laws have only changed so recently that the celebrations have yet to fully fade away. However, on the topic, I thought I would bring up the subject of the Cocek dancers of Turkey, since they are a fascinating slice of homosexual history that is largely unknown.

Flourishing between the 17th & 19th centuries, the Cocek dancers were young boys, trained from about eight years of age. They were very popular with the male audiences for their provocative and sexual performances, with fights and even killings resulting from duels to win the sexual favours of these boys, who were also prostitutes, as is common throughout history among dancers. (Though not so much any more – with modern dancers having worked hard to separate themselves from the oldest profession).


The dance was eventually outlawed due to these violent outbursts, yet the rhythms they danced to are as popular as ever among both traditional folk groups and modern gypsy fusion troupes.

*

Your book is as much about desert culture as it is about the war, and I delighted to find your description of tradition coffee making. Sitting around the fire with your companions after another long day of riding through the desert....

From Chapter XLV

While we talked the roasted coffee was dropped with three grains of cardamom into the mortar. Abdulla brayed it; with the dring-drang, dring-drang pestle strokes of village Nejd, two equal pairs of legato beats...

...while the coffee-maker boiled up his coffee, tapped it down again, made a palm-fibre mat to strain it before he poured (grounds in the cup were evil manners), when there came a volley from the shadowy dunes east of us and one of the Ageyl toppled forward into the centre of the firelit circle with a screech.

This is one of the fascinating parts of your work, Mr Lawrence. You take the time to describe the moments of peace and the beautiful landscapes, grasslands, herds of camels and the soldiers in their daily routines, and at the same time you do not sugar coat the reality of the war you were fighting.

Even sitting down to coffee could be a deadly affair.

Mohammed, with his massive foot thrust a wave of sand over the fire and in the quick blinding darkness we rolled behind bands of tamarisk and scattered to get rifles, while our outlying pickets began to return fire, aiming hurriedly towards the flashes, we had unlimited ammunition, and did not stint to show it.

Gradually the enemy slackened, astonished perhaps at our preparedness. Finally his fire stopped, and we held our own, listening for a rush or for attack from a new quarter. For half an hour we lay still; and silent, but for the groans and at last the death struggle of the man hit with the first volley. Then we were impatient of waiting longer. Zaal went out to report what was happening to the enemy. After another half-hour he called to us that no one was left within reach. They had ridden away: about twenty of them, in his trained opinion.

My coffee last night was served with crushed ice and blended to a thick and sweet foam, which I sipped calmly as the sun set and I sat writing at my desk. My ten year old son played on the floor nearby, building a Kraken monster from Lego and showing me with dramatic glee how its tentacles could wrap around the hull and mast of a sailing ship. A friend of mine, a calligrapher and student of linguistics at the local university, came for dinner and we spent out evening talking about music and language. My son told us a story he had made up about a wizard who accidentally created a monster who consumed the powers of other magical beings and artifacts in order to grow stronger. The beast had the power to alter reality, or in my son's actual words: To make air where once there was only water, or to make fruit where once there was only a desert.

Just as you, Mr Lawrence, have an influence on me and on my writing, so I have raised my son to appreciate the dramatic arts and to create magic with his words.

2 comments: