Friday 6 December 2019

Book 3, Letter 14, part 2 of 2 To Marcus Aurelius, on the eclipse of the sun.




Dear Marcus,

* (some days have passed) *

I found a group of philosophers discussing Stoic ideals, and the question was asked whether or not, as a stoic, it was encouraged to seek help when facing mental health issues. The consensus was an overwhelming yes, and the following passage was quoted :

Book 7
Section 7
(George Long Translation)

Be not ashamed to be helped; for it is thy business to do thy duty like a soldier in the assault on a town. How then, if being lame thou canst not mount up on the battlements alone, but with the help of another it is possible?This brings up something that I have thought about in relation to ancient texts. Can advice relating to physical combat and war be transferred to peaceful conflicts, or to the inner struggles we face when relating to our own minds? I like to think that it can apply, and that concepts like struggle, enemy, death and wounding are as much a part of a psychological narrative as they are physical. I have been meaning to write to Sun Tzu about his book 'The Art of War' in order to discuss this very idea.

A letter for another day.

*
From: Meditations
Book 11, Section 34
(Gregory Hays translation)

As you kiss your son good night, says Epictetus, whisper to yourself, “He may be dead in the morning.”

Don't tempt fate, you say.

By talking about a natural event? Is fate tempted when we speak of grain being reaped?

I smiled when I found this quote. I am feeling much better today than I was when I began this letter to you. I spent this evening playing games and reading books with my son. There is no more consoling philosophy than play, and my son is the master teacher.

As I kissed him goodnight he told me excitedly of his plans for the next day.


Thank you Marcus, even if sometimes your advice is difficult, sometimes misleading, sometimes confusing, your book has a permanent place on my bedside table.

With gratitude and respect.


Morgan.

No comments:

Post a Comment