Friday 9 August 2019

Book 3, letter 7 To Cicero: on the nature of the gods Part 1 of 2




*

Dear Cicero,

Smoke signals on the horizon this morning. A stormy night has passed, and in the drenched floodplain farmland along the Meechi River, bonfires are lit, signalling the last chance of winter, before the big spring bloom. Already the almonds are in full flower, the roads are awash with wind-scattered petals. It's easy to forget that I live in the modern world.

But, Cicero, I've been reading “On the Nature of the Gods”, and my first impression is how modern it all seems. The debate you describe is basically continuing unchanged after two thousand years, an observation that is both depressing, and exciting. There are some ideas in your book that we moderns have put to rest with the advances of scientific observations, but there are a lot of theological and philosophical questions that seem very relevant, and actually form the basis of contemporary debate, particularly regarding evolution versus intelligent design.

You say something in the preface which I must address, and I confess that my letter may be nothing more than my response to this one idea. I have read most of the book now, (as I begin writing my letter to you) but this opening statement seems to underlie the whole debate, and the problems of the manner in which the debate is carried on, seem to rest upon this one, fragile idea.

Book 1: preface

There is no subject on which there is so much difference of opinion among both the learned and the ignorant. But in this medley of opinions, one thing is certain. Though it is possible that they are all of them are false, it is impossible that more than one of them is true.

I've also been reading Plato, and as such, of course I have been making friends with Socrates. So, in the spirit of Socratic inquiry I will ask you, why? Why is it impossible that more than one opinion can be true? In my opinion, the nature of divinity is, by its very nature, pluralistic. The modern author Hunter S. Thompson said “Man is the only creature to imagine there is a God, and the only creature who behaves as if there is none.” It seems to me, that there is every possibility that the many, diverse, differing, and even opposing opinions and experiences regarding the nature of the Gods, could be simultaneously true.

Though I do agree that all opinions could be equally false.

When speaking to someone today about your book, my friend said that there is no proof that the Gods even exist. I responded, that while I can offer no proof that the Gods I have met do exist, nonetheless, I have met them. I do not seek to prove anything, but I do believe that my senses can be trusted to provide me with the truth. (Which I think puts me in the Stoic camp...I'm still a little cloudy about the differing opinions between the Epicureans, Stoics and Academics on the subject of the reliability of the senses...)

Can my senses be trusted to reveal the truth? That is a core question that was present in your day Cicero, and which today is still discussed by philosophers and laypeople alike. It seems akin to the same question regarding dreams. Are dreams real? Do they show us anything real, or are they just random noise in the brain, playing memories across the sleeping consciousness of the dreamer?

I think that when I have a dream, I have really had a dream. It was a real dream. I cannot deny that I have dreamed, therefore the dream was real. Was the message real? Were the images meaningful? These may be separate questions, but somehow they are related the question about whether or not the senses can be trusted to reveal the truth.

I have perceived my dream, I am aware that in my sleep I dreamed. I believe that my senses can be trusted to reveal the truth. Therefore, the things that my dreams reveal to me are real reflections of the truth of my inner (or subconscious) nature, and my relationships to the outer world.

I also believe that my inner nature is both a reflection and an expression of the nature of the Gods.

I exist in the world. My dreams exist inside me. Therefore my dreams exist in the world. Therefore, the Gods who I dream of, also exist in the world. The world is real and I am real. Therefore the Gods are real.

However, it is possible that my opinions on this subject are false. Equally, it is possible that they are true. I do not believe in my opinions, nor do I believe in my beliefs. I experience my opinions and my beliefs, I consider them, I ponder them, I discuss them, I write about them. I form ideas about my experiences, and about my opinions which I try to observe with an open mind. I try to always be ready to be proved wrong.

Being proved wrong happens every day.

I will write more next week....

*


No comments:

Post a Comment