Friday 6 July 2018




Dear Eurydice Dixon,

You don't know me, but I've heard a lot about you. You've not been dead long but your legend has already grown large. All day I have been thinking of you.

Cicero said that the only true immortality a person can achieve is through writing. I don't know how much you wrote during your life, but since your passing a great deal has been written about you and with each published article, with each re-posted link, you grow taller and more noble. You are becoming the martyr for a cause, the hero for a society sorely in need of one. You death has not gone unnoticed, we will not let it be so. We give your death meaning, we scatter the ashes of your suffering and everywhere they fall, the cause of justice must follow.

It is stormy today and as I lay beneath a gum tree, staring up through the tumbling leaves to the blue and white streaky sky above I remembered an old phrase.

The willow knows what the storm does not: that the power to endure suffering is greater than the power to inflict it.

I think perhaps that it is time for the willow to make knives of its leaves, and to learn how to use them.

Those who would rape are not men at all, but beasts of a low and primitive evolution, not worthy of the name of man. Men are noble creatures, we are artful and intelligent and proud of our strength and the just use of it in the defence of those less able to defend themselves. Men are the builders of harmony and the enemies of tyranny, men are the writers of laws and the writers of songs and we are the fearless shield wall standing in defence of moral rights and freedoms.

Those who would rape are guilty of a vast spiritual ignorance, a bottomless lack of awareness, a lack of compassion, a lack of empathy. In fact those who would rape are guilty of lacking every good quality that those who do call ourselves men may rightly lay claim to.

Eurydice, your name burns bright. Your death will mean something. We will stand up with your name on our lips and we shall together cry NO MORE. For though women bear the greatest share of suffering at the hands of these sub-human savages who would violate a woman's most fundamental rights, we men suffer at their hands through the shame and powerlessness we too feel. We suffer through our seeming inability to protect that which is most prized to us, the beauty and wonder of womanhood. We suffer in shame at the injustices our brethren inflict upon the soft enclosing warmth of woman's love.

Saint Eurydice, we pray to you in your eternal rest that your death shall be the spark that lit a fire in us. You will live on through the immortality we grant you by our words and deeds. Your mother may weep forever more at your loss, but I will not weep. I will stand up and with my brothers and sisters, we shall carry our willow leaves to the throats of all who would do to others, what was done to you. I shall dip my willow quill in the ink of your tragedy and with my poetry I shall raise you up.

May great deeds be done in your name.


From Morgan.


*     *     *





Dear Francesco Petrarchus,

It's funny the way that the dead can speak, and how your voice Francesco, reaching back to speak to Cicero, also speaks to me here in your future. I will quote from your letter to Lapo da Castiglionchio, in 1352, written from your retreat in Vaucluse.

Cicero therefore seems to rejoice and to be eager to remain in my company. We have now passed ten quiet and restful days together here. Here only, and in no other place outside of Italy, do I breathe freely. In truth, study has this great virtue, that it appeases our desires for a life of solitude, mitigates our aversion for the vulgar herd, tenders us sought-for repose even in the midst of the thickest crowds, instills in us many noble thoughts, and provides us with the fellowship of most illustrious men even in the most solitary forests.

You found all his letters, and you hid yourself away to be with Cicero in the forest, rejoicing and eager to remain in his company. I find it marvellous that we feel the same about our erstwhile friend, yet I must admit that I find my friendship with Plutarch growing stronger than my kinship with Cicero, for an unsettling doubt has converged upon me concerning him. How the crooked hand of Cataline searches me out and worries away at my confidence in Cicero's honesty. It is not honourable to speak ill of the dead, but there is always that savage temptation to condemn him as a mouthpiece of tyranny, even while he pretended to a belief in liberty.

I have been reading the letters written during his exile, and some essays written during this time. I have some difficult questions to ask him, but I am not ready to ask them yet. I've been thinking about the world Cicero lived in and the things he lived through: Spartacus and the Slave wars, the Civil wars, the hit squads of Sulla, the Gaulic and Celtic wars and the Pirate war, just to skim the surface of the catastrophic civil and military unrest of his era. Yet despite the blood soaked hands of the Senate and Consular officials, Cicero still supported them against Cataline, who was fighting for debt cancellation and land reform on behalf of the poor.

I have been reading your letters too, Petrarch.

It feels like two mirrors standing face to face, reflections iterated generation after generation.

I don't have time for more today, but I shall write again soon.

Morgan.

...actually. I just found this in amongst your letters...

As regards Cicero, I have known him as the best of consuls, vigilantly providing for the welfare of the State, and as a citizen who always evinced the highest love of country. But what more? I cannot bestow praise upon the instability of his friendships, nor upon the serious disagreements arising from slight causes and bringing destruction upon him and benefit to none, nor upon a judgment which, when brought to bear upon questions of private and public affairs, did not well accord with his remarkable acumen in other directions. Above all, I cannot praise, in a philosopher weighed down with years, an inclination for wrangling which is proper to youths and utterly of no avail. Of all this, however, remember that neither you nor anyone else can be in a fit position to judge, until you will have read, and carefully, all the letters of Cicero; for it is these which gave rise to the whole discussion.

So perhaps before I jump in and accuse Cicero of anything, I should take your advice and read a lot more than three or four books, and only a dozen or so of his letters. I am very lucky to live near a second hand book store, they are a rarity now. The proprietrix of this establishment is a sort of scholar-of-everything, and there is no topic on which she will not have something interesting to say, or to ask. I will visit her soon and discuss my reading list.

Thank you Petrarch, for setting me straight.


From the land of the living, on the west bank of the Meechi river, in in southern Australia, in the eighteenth year of the new century.


Morgan.





No comments:

Post a Comment